Our Equality Objectives
Stowting School is a highly inclusive community however, we recognise that certain groups in society can be disadvantaged because of unlawful discrimination they may face due to their race, sex, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, religion or belief, sexual orientation, age, or pregnancy and maternity. We are wholly committed to eliminate discrimination harassment and victimisation and to advance equality of opportunity for all.
The Equality Act 2010 replaces previous anti-discrimination legislation with a single Act in order to protect the following protected characteristics:
- Race and ethnicity
- Gender identity
- Marriage and civil partnership (but only in respect of eliminating unlawful discrimination)
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Religion and belief
- Sexual identity
We are committed to ensuring that we have due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct that is prohibited by the Act
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a characteristic and those who don’t
- Foster good relations between people who share a characteristic and those who don’t.
As a school, we have set the following equality objectives (2023):
- To reduce prejudice and increase understanding of equality through direct teaching across the curriculum and through our Christian Values.
- To promote cultural development and understanding through a rich range of experience, both in and beyond the school
- To ensure that all pupils are given similar opportunities with regards to after-school clubs and activities
- To ensure the school environment is accessible as possible to all pupils, staff and visitors.
- To operate a zero tolerance policy and eradicate prejudice related bullying in relation to the protected characteristics listed in the Equality Act 2010
- Actively close gaps in attainment and achievement for pupils with protected Characteristics along with students eligible for free-school meals, special educational needs, looked after and previously looked after children.